Wednesday, March 3, 2010

An Introduction...

We all need to have an obligatory introductory post that no one will ever read ever. It's gotta be lame and completely self-indulgent as it lays out goals and talks very generally about all the stuff that I have on my brain that make this blog so completely necessary.

So let's get to it.


First some background: I'm a twenty-one year old college student who loves Doctor Who. I got into it with the most recent re-revival and the Christopher Eccleston and then moved onto the David Tennant stuff and it was all jolly good. And I'm caught up so I'm just waiting for the next era of the brilliant-looking Matt Smith to come in and blows us all away with his awesome. 

But what to do in the downtime? I need my fix.

For some reason, "Journey's End" made me want to go back and watch all of the old back stories. I think I'm going to blame Davros on this one. Whatever. The point is, I made the decision to go try out some of the older stuff. All I had was a Netflix queue and all the free time I could spare.

And that basically brings us to now. I've tested the waters, seen/experienced a few serials, and I think I can handle it, but we'll take it one step at a time, yeah?

The goal here is to just talk about classic stories and the writing and cool sci-fi concepts and the actors and how it affects larger mythology (if at all) and interpretations of The Doctor and his Companions and being nostalgic and having fun. Yeah. Have fun let's, shall we?

Couple things about some of these early posts as I'm gettin my groove...

I'm not watching anything in a necessary order. For some stuff, I will (stories that cross over a long time, like The Key to Time or stuff), but for now, I'm just trying to get a feel for each of The Doctors. So the first bunch are pretty much a lot of me running through each Doctor in turn, in order, starting with William Hartnell, then to Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, and rounding it all out with Paul McGann. For the most part, I'm thinking a lot of these will be about going in and examining different actor's portrayals of The Doctor and seeing how different aspects come out and how those all come together to create this great and awesome character we all know and love.

Also, I don't plan on sticking with one Doctor for too long in this initial run through, one or two stories and then moving on. There's plenty of serials to deal with, plenty of stories to get through. So the first run is for different flavors of Doctors. And then we'll popcorn all through the series at my discretion (because it's my blog and I do what I want).

As a sidenote, on the subject of "missing serials" (as there are so many from the first two Doctors missing), I've obtained the audio releases of the old serials that have been lost in time as it were, and I plan on reviewing these ones too. They can't stop me. I will have it all my way.

And, finally, I also plan on talking about some of the more recent productions of audio plays released by The BBC and Big Finish Audio. These ones, though, I'll be talking about in order of their releases (more or less). Why am I doing this? Because I have them and I want them listened to too.

You see, for me, Doctor Who is a vehicle for telling awesome stories. People see it as excessive marketing and expansive franchising. I don't. I see it as an outlet for people to tell any sort of story they might want to tell. The audio plays are a huge corner of this market, so why not let's blog about them? Sounds like a cool thing to me.

Anyways. Thanks for joining and listening to me ramble. Coming up first (and soon), the first serial featuring The Daleks, the second ever produced. And it's in the pipeline and coming soon, so stick around, cuz it should be quite fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment